On a tight budget? We’ve put together 15 dollar-saving tips that will have you pocketing more of your earnings.
- Don’t keep the water running! Wash fruit & veggies in a half-filled sink, and apply the same method to your morning routine.
- Wait for a full load before turning on the dishwasher or washing machine. And whenever possible, do a cold wash.
- Swap to a water efficient showerhead.
- Close taps tightly so they don’t drip.
- Only heat/cool occupied rooms. Shut all other doors, and use door snakes for gaps.
- Dry clothes in the sun when possible, rather than using a heater or dryer.
- Switch to LED lights – they save energy and last much longer.
- Turn off appliances or chargers at the powerpoint, so they don’t use standby power.
- Swap before buying. Books, movies, tools, appliances – does a friend or relative have it for you to borrow?
- Meal prep! Pre-pack meals to reduce the need to eat out.
- Opt for second-hand. Look on Gumtree before buying in a chain store.
- Entertain at home over going to eat out.
- Shop when you have time – you’ll be more likely to miss discounts in a rush.
- Stream fitness classes. And ditch the gym membership you don’t use!
- Invest in a coffee machine to save on bought morning coffees.